WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Jan 3 01:03:46 EST 2009

At 12:46 AM 1/3/2009, Kevin Vahey wrote:

>One other thing. We saw how NAB fought hard to prevent the satellite
>merger and lost. What surprised me was not lobbying the FCC to make it
>mandatory that all future satellite radios must also have the AM-FM
>band.

The NAB, as Bob Bittner and I discussed on the late lamented Let's
Talk About Radio, has truly lost its way.  (That sound you hear is
John Shepard 3rd spinning in his grave.)  When the NAB was designed
in 1923, its purpose was to help the small stations survive in the
face of corporate efforts to stifle them.  Back then, the
corporations were the music publishers (who didn't want radio to be
allowed to play their songs without paying huge royalties for the
privilege) and then there were the big chains like NBC and CBS that
were eager to drive the smaller stations off the air entirely unless
they affiliated with one of the networks.  the NAB really did make an
effort in those formative years to defend the small and medium sized
broadcasters.

But today, the NAB's biggest clients are the Clear Channels of the
world, and what matters most, it seems to me, is the needs of the big
guys.  If the little guys (and gals) can't function, hey tough for
them, let 'em sell their station or go on the satellite.

And owners continue to kill the goose that laid the golden egg-- live
and local stations with interesting and useful programming still can
get listeners.  The Dick Summers and Larry Glicks and Arnie Ginsburgs
understood that.  Today, owners seem to believe everyone is
disposable and everyone can be replaced.  And they wonder why they
are losing listeners.  I mean, Rush Limbaugh is still on over 600
stations, while the industry fails to develop new talent.  Now, I
don't like Rush and I don't find his show interesting (it used to
be), but even if he was my absolute fave, each city needs somebody
who is unique to that market, somebody the audience feels understands
them and can reach out to them.  It ain't brain surgery.  Live and
local really does work, even today.  That's why what WBZ is doing
utterly mystifies me. It's gonna save them a few bucks, but it's
sooooo self-defeating.... >:-o