WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 17:03:26 EST 2009

As bad off as radio is they have nowhere near the problems of print.

The newsroom expense is the least of their problems. The cost of
buying newsprint, printing, distribution are not going down.

The Herald has slashed some costs by now printing in Chicope at the
Wall St Journal plant.

The Globe was hammered when Macy's shut down Filenes that alsone has
cost them many full page ads a week. Classified ads have vanished and
that is where the profit was.

WBZ has no debt to speak of given that Westinghouse now CBS has owned
the station since 1921. FM has been a disaster for CBS which is no
shock given that Westinghouse never understood what they had.

I feel bad for the Boston management as they have to do what New York
wants and if they fought CBS would find somebody else.

I think it is fair to say that WBZ used to operate with a higher
standard than other local outlets. Before the internet they were the
most solid link to the rest of the country concerning Boston.

One would think that Sumner Redstone might have a soft spot for WBZ
having lived in Newton for so many years. The reality is WBZ is just
another spreadsheet that is looked at by the bean counters.

I suppose we should be thankful BZ stayed local overnights as long as
they did as everybody else gave up a long time ago.