Chad Finn of The Boston Globe's take on local sports-radio competition

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Feb 28 07:41:11 EST 2009

AFAIK, there has not been a French-language station that interfered
with WWZN in 20 years give or take (and what is now WWZN had not even
become WWZN back then). I don't remember exactly when CJRS (I think
those were the calls) went dark on 1510, but it was close to two
decades ago. As for 890, AFAIK, there has never been a French-language
station on 890 that you could receive in the Boston area. There may be
something in the Carrbean, but if there is, I don't believe that
anyone except for a few serious DXers has picked it up around here.
Your friend at Boston.com made a lot of good points, and his point
about WAMG's signal has some validity, at least at night in the more
easterly parts of the metro. But WWZN's signal is quite solid at night
pretty much everwhere inside of 128--especially since the demise of
CJRS and WNLC. During the day, both 890 and 1510 do better than they
do at night. A campaign for intelligent sports talk on a better signal
should focus on FM. Right now, there is intelligent sports talk on FM
for only one hour a week (two hours if you count repeats): Only a Game
on WBUR. Bill Littlefield really does a thoughful and entertaining
show! You don't even have to be a sports fan to enjoy it.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367