More on the FD

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Thu Feb 26 19:45:45 EST 2009

>>I am now reading on the internets that the senate voted this
afternoon to prohibit the FCC re-imposing the fairness doctrine by a vote of
87-11.  This means not only the Republicans, but a good majority of the
Democrats are against the re-imposition of this rule.  So I think at this
point it's likely a dead issue, and Savage and Limbaugh will have to find
something else to rave about.<<

But: They won't.  Their audience is energized by this sort of thing, especially since Limbaugh has effectively called the President a liar for saying he doesn't favor the FD's return.  RL is absolutely convinced that some form of FD will be enacted via some sort of back-door rider on a bill which the President will feel compelled to sign.

With the conservative base, this issue has the same kind of legs as the persistent urban legend, which the FCC still feels compelled to periodically quash, that they will be banning religious broadcasting.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040