The sob stories have begun

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Feb 17 23:32:40 EST 2009

So WMUR did the obligatory sob story on the 11:00 tonight about some
poor, poor woman out in the sticks who "gets six channels in analog"
but yet "can't get any digital stations".  Cut to exterior shot --
yep, big VHF yagi on the roof, looking like it's seen better days.
Oh, no, now she has to subscribe to DirecTV![1] Of course none of the
people interviewed demonstrated the remotest clue about what was
required; they went on an on about how "terrain and trees" would block
reception, and the digital stations are all at "much lower power".
Not entirely false by any means, but very misleading.  (If she gets
six analog stations, I bet I can name them: 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 11.
She should be able to get 11's DT, but I bet the segment was taped
before 11 switched over.)

No, I wasn't recording.  (In fact, I don't have any way to record 9
here, since the only thing I have with an OpenCable tuner doesn't have
a video out.)  They did note in the intro that NHPTV has received
"very few complaints".

-GAWollman

[1] I'm sorry, there is nobody -- NOBODY -- on this planet who can't
live without television.