HD or nothing sometimes

Matthew Reed mkr@matthewsworkbench.com
Tue Feb 17 08:33:37 EST 2009

Martin Waters wrote:
> As far as I can see from a lifetime of field trips to homes of
> non-radio geeks, your average listener has a $12 clock radio that
> gets full-power FM's and 50kW AM's as far as 30 miles away -- maybe
> -- and plays them through a 1-inch speaker. Then they have a receiver
> of similar quality hanging next to the range hood over the stove.

I remember reading about a survey that found that most people don't
extend the antenna on a portable FM radio. Somewhat surprisingly, most
people still wouldn't extend the antenna even after it was pointed out
that the reception would be improved. I believe it because I have seen
that happen many times myself.