HD or nothing sometimes

Martin Waters martinjwaters@yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 00:55:48 EST 2009

--- On Fri, 2/13/09, Jeff Lehmann <jjlehmann@comcast.net> wrote:

> Having a directional FM antenna set up at a house is more
> than 95% of FM
> radio listeners have though.

   As far as I can see from a lifetime of field trips to homes of non-radio geeks, your average listener has a $12 clock radio that gets full-power FM's and 50kW AM's as far as 30 miles away -- maybe -- and plays them through a 1-inch speaker. Then they have a receiver of similar quality hanging next to the range hood over the stove.

    And in a lot of cases the auto-search function on their car radios has such a high signal requirement, especially on AM, that the auto-generated pre-sets or even the user's manual scanning edits out many perfectly viable signals. I'll also bet most regular folks don't know anything about a DX setting on the auto scan (normally not the default setting), if their receivers have it.