WBZ was HD2

Howard Glazer hmglaz@worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 14 22:08:38 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Eli Polonsky <elipolo@earthlink.net>
> WODS may have a reason for going with a "soft AC" format on
> the HD-2. WMJX has been WODS' main competition for a couple
> of decades (WROR is less so, due to their lower ratings, and
> it hasn't been around as long in its classic hits format).
>
> IF HD ever catches on, perhaps WODS may be hoping to take
> a piece of the "soft AC" pie from main competitor WMJX by
> offering commercial-free HD-2 competition, and erode WMJX's
> ratings lead over WODS a little bit for their main channels.
>
> It would make more strategic sense than offering an HD-2
> for the demographic that sponsors consider too old ('50s
> and early '60s oldies), though that would have been the
> one I'd have listened to. I won't be listening to "The
> Cove", but I'm 52 years old, which is already considered
> to be a demographic geezer.
>
> EP

Although the HD-2s will eventually air commercials, if enough receivers ever
make it into the hands of the public. (Maybe standard-equipment arrangements
with the automakers should satellite radio go bust, or should, as rumored, a
hostile takeover by EchoStar result in a move to scuttle Sirius XM and
repurpose the spectrum to wireless broadband?) As I've always understood it,
the intention was never to provide commercial-free competition to FM but
rather to hook the listeners on continuous music in genres not represented
on FM, then work in advertising as HD penetration reaches critical mass.

Howard