Delay on WODS-HD3

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 10:40:19 EST 2009

It's not the STL.  All FM multicast channels have an inexplicable delay
of approximately 90 seconds; it happens in the IBOC encoding processed.
Last I checked, nobody had really figured out why....and the encoding
algorithm and procedure is all a "black box"; despite valiant efforts
the NRSC ultimated voted to allow iBiquity to keep that part of the
standard proprietary.  And it's not a priority for iBiquity to figure
out, so odds are we'll never know why it happens.

(shrugs)

Personally I think it's kinda handy, since it usually takes a minimum of
10 seconds to tune to a station's multicast channel and hear audio.  So
a nice fat delay means I don't have to worry about missing any part of
the show.

Question for those of you in Boston: which sounds the best?  WODS-HD3,
WBZ-AM or WBZ-AM-HD?   I mean, of course each sounds DIFFERENT, but
which sounds the best to your ears and why?

Aaron Read                  |  Finger Lakes Public Radio
friedbagels@gmail.com       |  General Manager (WEOS & WHWS-LP)
Geneva, NY 14456            |  www.weos.org / www.whws.fm

I don't really know what sort of delays are considered typical for HD3
signals, but the WBZ audio on 103.3-3 seems to be about half a minute
behind the (already delayed) 1030 audio.  Are they running it off a
stream or something?  Surely there must be a low-delay audio path from
1170 over to Birmingham Parkway!

-GAWollman