WHDH fires weekend anchor

Mike Ward mward@iname.com
Thu Feb 12 10:59:24 EST 2009

TVNETDUDE@aol.com wrote:
> I used to belong to 1228 when I worked in Boston and am not really familiar
> with their current contract. Maybe what Ansin has in mind is  actually
> switching the news from Miami with the talent actually in the  studio in Boston.
> Would that violate the current 1228 contract? That would make  more sense.

I imagine the union issues in a big market like Boston are myriad, even now.

There was a story out there recently about the West Palm Beach market's
CW affiliate airing a 10 PM newscast produced - anchors and all - out of
their sister CBS affiliate in Salt Lake City.  The show has one local
field reporter and one local entertainment reporter in West Palm, but
everyone else is in Utah.

They make a big deal about the fact that the Utah-based weather anchor
used to work at two Miami stations, and "knows South Florida weather".

The arrangement is made easy, electronically, by the fact that the West
Palm CW station and its sister stations in Florida are now hubbed out of
that Salt Lake City station's facilities.  (The newscast is even in HD.)

I do NOT see this as being feasible in Boston for many reasons, or even
if it is, I don't see it as being accepted by viewers.