WBZ 1030 on 103.3 HD2

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Thu Feb 12 09:01:46 EST 2009

> >>Deb Lawler mentioned to "listen to WBZ in HD on Oldies 103.3 HD
> channel 2" (or something to that effect). I haven't heard it since, and
> there's no mention of it on either the WBZ or Oldies 103.3 web sites.<<
>
> Similar to what CBS Radio is doing in some of its other markets.  In
> New York, for example, WCBS is on WCBS-FM-HD3, and WINS is on WWFS-HD3.
>
> >>I'm not going to go off the deep end and predict this is a precursor
> to moving the AM format to FM, but how many people have HD radios to
> take advantage of this?<<
>
> Short answer:  Not enough.

Equally as short of an answer:  Many of us can receive FM fine but lose AM
due to RFI/EMI interference.  In my office WBZ 1030 is unlistenable.
1030-HD works fine most of the time.  I can receive most of the FM channels
fine and those that have HD come in great.  Therefore, if I have to listen
to WBZ, my first choice would be AM-HD when available.  When the
interference gets too severe, 103.3 HD-3.
[Brian Vita]
I can imaging that it would be the same in a steel framed office building.

Brian