DTV delay passes

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Feb 4 17:22:30 EST 2009

<<On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:06:47 -0500, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:

> Kevin Vahey wrote:
>> So do the cupons still expire?
>>
>> Seems they could save a few bucks on postage otherwise.

> I'm not sure. I think the definitive answer will come in a few days when
> NTIA and the FCC promulgate new rules based on this legislation.

Yes.  The only changes made to the coupon program are to extend the
deadline for compliance, and to authorize the Assistant Secretary of
Commerce to issue new coupons to replace expired ones.  Neither
amendment takes effect until Congress authorizes additional spending
on the coupon program.

The Commission has 30 days from when Obama signs the bill to
promulgate new rules for the transition itself.  Until they do so,
February 17th is still the deadline.  Of course, the FCC chairman will
do what is expected of him.  He has already issued his own
(ludicrous mis)statement on the passage of the bill.

-GAWollman