The plot thickens with sports media

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Fri Aug 28 01:43:57 EDT 2009

Whatever happens, expect ESPN to remain a non-player in the market, at
least radiowise.  Their radio strategy is simply to reinforce their
brand.  Most ESPN Radio personalities are on TV and the web as well.
They'd like a relatively strong local radio component to drive traffic
to the website.  However, most of their shows will be off the network,
and most likely the station will remain on AM, so I doubt it will make
much of a dent against WEEI (which has it's own developing local web
presence) or WBZ-FM.  The Worldwide Leader really missed the boat
here.  They should have tried to cut a deal to get ESPN on FM before
CBS signed on the Sports Hub.  They're coming very late to the party.
Too late, actually.  Now they're doing damage control.  They want this
regional website concept to work, particularly in the major markets,
because it's the future.  The radio component is just a means to an
end, and I doubt they're going to invest a ton of money into the radio
product to truly compete against 850 & 98.5.  At the end of the day,
look for a slightly stronger AM signal running essentially the same
programming as 890 is now.  Nothing to get too excited about...

-Dave Tomm