Red Sox leave WRKO

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Aug 25 16:07:13 EDT 2009

At 04:01 PM 8/25/2009, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>Another move to counter 98.5?
>
>Entercom announced today that, effective with the team's game against
>the Chicago White Sox Wednesday evening, August 26th, all future
>Boston Red Sox games will be carried on WEEI 850 AM in Boston, the
>flagship station of the WEEI Sports Radio Network.

I predicted this.  Back before the Sports Hub came onto the scene to
create some competition, it really didn't matter in the greater
scheme of things whether the games were on WRKO or WEEI (I mean,
yeah, it confused the fans, but the revenue remained in the
family).  But now, I think WEEI wants to be THE sports station, and
yes, to counter 98.5,as Kevin suggests.  From a programming
standpoint, it makes lots of sense.

Meanwhile, will there be any other changes on WRKO?