Question about a Dark UHF channel in Boston...

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 20:51:23 EDT 2009

Originally, Channel 33 (W33AV) was a CP for W54AT, Brockton, MA.  It was owned by Boston Catholic Television, but never made it to the air.  It was sold and moved to Gloucester as W33AV ("The BOX").  W33AV was briefly WRAP-LP, due to the over-abundance of rap videos at the time on the channel.  The station went silent for a while and returned to the air in 1996 from the old WHDH-TV (FM-128) tower as W54CN, a repeater for WPXB-TV (Channel 60) Merrimack, NH.  Eventually, the //WPXB-TV was discontinued. Eventually it moved to Channel 40 as W40BO.  But the signal was pitiful due to many antenna issues.  After many years of "on-air" and "off-air" operation, the signal was restored and has been a repeater of WBPX for many years.

The reason for having W40BO on the air as a repeater of WBPX?  Beats me.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
"Scanning the bands since 1967"
radiojunkie3@yahoo.com