WEEI format change

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Aug 7 11:26:16 EDT 2009

At 11:03 AM 8/7/2009, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
>I'm quite sure that WAAB moved to Worcester in the 40s. It was
>probably 1943 but could have been earlier. '43 was when the FCC ruled
>out duopolies. That ruling resulted in the sale of many stations. But
>Sheppard did not want to give up the (by then) 1440 signal, so he
>moved it out of market. Donna Halper must know the exact date!

But of course.  That's why you pay me the big bucks!  WAAB was
originally WLEX in Lexington, but the late great John Shepard III
bought it and moved it to Boston in April 1931.  The station finally
moved to Worcester  (Shepard had been trying to get a Worcester
property since 1930, but the Federal Radio Commission kept turning
him down) and WAAB went on the air officially as a Worcester station
on 13 December 1942.