extending FM band down to 76 MHz

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Aug 2 12:35:29 EDT 2009

<<On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 09:19:01 -0700 (PDT), "Peter Q. George" <radiojunkie3@yahoo.com> said:

> I think that the FCC made a big mistake in cleaning out UHF Channels
> 52-69 for land-mobile, in the first place.  Those channels would
> have had ample space so that ALL full-powered TV stations could go
> DTV with plenty of room to spare for NEW stations and all LPTV's and
> translators.  VHF-hi would be fine for other uses other than TV.

Wrong on both counts, unfortunately.

A minimally-efficient VHF-high antenna is still 16 inches long, which
is far too long for any mobile device today.  A quarter-wave at 750
MHz less than four inches, making antenna-size constraints -- and
multipath -- far less of an issue for device manufacturers.  That's
why Qualcomm MediaFLO operates on channel 55: it could be reasonably