Say GoodBye To WGBX-44

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Apr 23 07:14:19 EDT 2009

Bummer! Reception of Channel "44" HD-n was great until a couple of
weeks ago, No dropouts for weeks on end. Then I found myself having to
fiddle with the antenna to get audio that was even marginally
intelligible. I finally found an antenna position that is marginally
acceptable a lot of the time but it's still very touchy and iffy. If I
move around the room, the reception often goes to hell in a
handbasket.

When the announcement started running that 44 analog was on low power,
I figured that my good digital reception would probably return after
the switch to all digital. I am not sure that I can take my current
reception of "44" in perpetuity. "2" is OK. I don't watch "4," "5," or
"38" enough to have much of an opinion on them, except that "38" has
been one of my biggest DTV reception headaches--if not THE biggest. I
used to be able to find antenna locations that worked for all channels
except "38," which required its own setup. Setup involves so many
variables that it is hopeless to try to invent a systematic procedure
for setting up the antenna. And worse yet, I can watch for 10 minutes
or more and conclude that the reception is now OK, only to have it
then suddenly deteriorate into almost continual pixellation and
unintelligible audio. 8-VSB is great when its working properly but it
flunks the real-world reception test in what ought to be a very good
location that should not require an outside antenna, and in all
likelihood would be even worse with an amplified antenna.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367