WEIM changes

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Thu Apr 9 17:30:45 EDT 2009

<<On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:36:35 -0400, Dave Tomm <nostaticatall@charter.net> said:

> In Connecticut, WKSS is licensed to "Hartford-Meriden" and must ID as
> such.  It says so right on the license in the control room.  "WKSS,
> Hartford" would not be legal in this case.  There is a story as to why
> the COL was applied for and granted this way but it escapes me at the
> moment....

There was a time, not that long ago, when you had to have your studio
in the community of license.  95.7, you will recall, is the old
WMMW-FM and was originally a Meriden station.  Presumably, at some
point they wanted to move the studios to Hartford, but the Commission
was being ornery at the time and wouldn't let them discontinue
"service" to Meriden.  (Or maybe they had studios in both cities.)
The hyphenated community provided some flexibility.

-GAWollman