ANdrew 8-8000

John Francini francini@mac.com
Wed Apr 8 17:04:32 EDT 2009

The other thing, of course, is that it's quite likely that the 254
exchange -- at least for the 56xx part -- was likely set up to deal
with huge influxes of calls, much the way most Boston stations'
contest call-in numbers are 617-931-xxxx. Special equipment was
necessary to push the call blocking higher up the telephone switching
hierarchy -- to the tandem offices -- so that calls to other numbers
in the exchange would go through even as 10,000 or more people were
trying to call a single number (or even a relatively short hunt group).

john