ANdrew8-8000

Bill Smith bill.smith@comcast.net
Wed Apr 8 07:17:11 EDT 2009

At least  Bill O.  didn't inherit the Merrimack Valley cadence to telephone
numbers, given by people who go back even further than the exchange name
days.  It's impossible to get a number the first time when they say it as
(emphysis on) 45 (emphasis off but pick up speed considerably) 81266 with
the pause not appearing after the utterance of the three digit  exchange but
after the first two digits.  The host of Telephone Trading Time was supposed
to repeat the caller's number, some hosts actually figured out what the
biddies meant to say, but when a certain legendary sports announcer  filled
in, he read the sports agate page and never listened to the callers beyond
their first words (caller: yes, today I have a collection of Barbies with
missing heads and limbs"  LSA:  "Grreat many people are looking for that"
and back to the Expos-Giants box score), which is working without a net when
all you've got is a three-second mechanical delay. He'd finally notice they
had stopped babbling about the treasures they sought to sell,usually after a
long  morning of trash-picking ("sorry, no used cars, tires or oil
burners"), look up from the newspaper, and hit the next call.  Fortunately,
9:05 - 9:30 is when the Cohens walked from their Car (unit one) to the
studios, so they never knew.

-