Somewhat OT: Times Co. threatens to shutter Boston Globe

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 14:24:36 EDT 2009

Doug Drown wrote:
> I hate to be cynical, but I honestly  think that a lot of them don't care what is going on in the world unless it directly affects them or it's something in pop culture in which they're interested.
Nothing cynical there to me.  Instant and super-personalized
gratification trumps instant information on matters that lie anywhere
beyond line of sight. And this crosses  both intellectual and economic
lines.  You can find good illustrations in those man on the street
pop-quiz encounters that were rampant in the weeks leading up to the
general election.  More people knew about candidate Palin's family
matters then they did about candidate Obama's contribution while in the
U.S. Senate.  (Okay, weak example....)  By the way, any struggling
newspapers reporting on this? <crickets>

Bill O'Neill