WHDH snubs Leno

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 15:35:04 EDT 2009

And herein lies the problem - the technology and those providing it may be ready to move on, but I'm not so sure the general public is there yet. I can tell you the ad agencies aren't there - they're still selling in the :15/:30/:60 spot mode. What I have noticed is the agencies panicking and trying to "saturate" shows in their target audience - multiple spots in a short time, bookends, :60 spots, daypart rotations. This oddly enough seems to be the very behavior that is driving viewers to alternate media!

________________________________
From: "TVNETDUDE@aol.com" <TVNETDUDE@aol.com>
To: boston-radio-interest@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
Cc: m_carney@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2009 2:55:41 PM
Subject: Re: WHDH snubs Leno

In a message dated 4/2/2009 8:27:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, boston-radio-interest-request@tsornin.BostonRadio.org writes:
> [...]
I am not exactly sure that NBC is teh oe with the extremely limited options. According to Jeff Immelt, he see the future of Network TV utilizing the same business model as their cable stations such as MSNBC, CNBC, and the Universal cable channels. If you look at the viewers that still receive their TV service OTA NBC wouldn't be loosing too much.

The satellite equipment at an O&O or affiliate is an very expensive proposition and to distribute directly to a cable hub would be much less expensive. All that would be required is a dish without all of the automated hardware and software that is involved with an affiliate.

A dish and a couple of receivers and you are on the air and as for selling the local avails NBC could be thrown in with NBC/Universal's cable channel package.

I don't think that the conversion to digital OTA has helped the OTA situation much; I have never been a fan of 8-VSB.

Sunbeam would seem to be the one with limited options there are only so many episodes of Gillgan's Island to go around.

Mike Hemeon
NBC Principal Engineer, Satellite Systems (RET)