WHDH snubs Leno

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Fri Apr 3 01:27:27 EDT 2009

On 2 Apr 2009 at 23:04, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> In a lot of ways, Leno doesn't need to "work" for NBCU to be happy --
> he can be in fourth place at 10:00 and they're still making more money
> than they are with hour dramas in that slot.  The affils, of course,
> are another story.

Why can't the TV networks just feed programming to cable directly,
like a cable network?

Back in the 1950s, I got annoyed often with local stations' habit of
moving network shows around or not carrying them at all.  Sometime in
high school, after the first communications satellites went up, I got
the idea that a TV network should try to get a license for a
particular channel nationwide and, with satellites, beam a signal
direct to homes.  Of course, I didn't know that it would require dish
antennas to receive, but then again, I think that was pretty good for
a teenager in the early 1960s.

I also thought up the idea of recording TV shows on magnetic disks.
I didn't know why there might be any advantages over tape, but since
there were already several media around, I thought up another one.