Radio soap opera theme music

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Apr 2 07:42:19 EDT 2009

In a post yesterday, I mentioned that the theme music of one daytime
radio soap of the '40s was not played by an origanist but by a
guitarist who also sang the lyrics. I cited the song as Neet-ah,
Jua-ha-ha, Neet-ah but I had no clue about which program might have
used this song as its theme. I wonder whether it might have been "Just
Plain Bill (Barber of Hartville)." But thinking it over, there may
have been more than one daytime soap that used a guitarist to play its
theme music. ISTR a program whose theme was Polly Wally Doodle, also
played on a guitar (but without a vocal, IIRC). Maybe THAT was the
Just Plain Bill theme. And if it was, what program used Neet-ah?
Anyone have any clues? Tom Heathwood?

All this is bringing to mind Bob and Ray's wonderful parodies of
daytime soaps. The most famous of them, Mary Backstage, Noble Wife,
may have run as long as the "real" program, Mary Noble, Backstage
Wife, (and I'd wager is remembered by more people than is the real
program). But there were others, such as Mr Trace, Keener than Most
Persons, a takeoff on the nighttime show, Mr Keane, Tracer of Lost
Persons. Bob and Ray may also have done Mr Agony, a takeoff on the
always tearful personal-advice program, Mr Anthony. I have heard an
actual clip from Mr Anthony on Danny Stiles classic records show,
which appears on erratic schedule, overnights on WRCA 1330
(Watertown).

And Garrison Keillor sometimes does takeoffs on vintage radio soap
operas on his NPR (or is it American Public Media) show, A Prairie
Home Companion (Saturdays 6:00 to 8:00PM on WGBH-FM 89.7 (repeated
Sundays at noon)).

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367