Mass Highway Radio Question

Aaron Read readaaron@friedbagels.com
Wed Apr 1 17:52:05 EDT 2009

That Natick one is special, IIRC it's at the Natick Fire Dep't and it
was part of some town administrator's grand idea of emergency
communications for the Natick community.  As in, specifically for Natick
- not surrounding towns.

The problem with that idea is that in an emergency, locals aren't going
to tune to an unfamiliar frequency that usually just has a loop of
marginally-useful information on it.  They're going to tune to WBZ, or
maybe WBUR, WRKO or WTKK.  The only way that kind of hyper-local town
radio works is if you give people a reason to tune into it every single
day, so they know it's there.  That level of quality in the programming
requires a lot of effort and is expensive.

I don't know if Natick is still trying to use 1630AM in that way; I
haven't listened in years.  But for the first few months after it came
on the air it was just your typical TIS loop of (often outdated) info
about yard waste pickup days and planned road closures months in
advance.  Yawn.

- Aaron