New Non-comms In NH (Not Including Newburyport)

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Mon Sep 29 18:54:23 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Laurence Glavin
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 4:16 PM
To: boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
Subject: New Non-comms In NH (Not Including Newburyport)

>>Scott's NERW today (09/29) included an item about WCNH-LP, now operating
on
94.7 west of downtown Concord, NH.  It's received the ok from the FCC to
move to 91.5, transmitting from the town of Bow, NH, due south of Concord.
Scott gives the facilities as 100 watts at 439 feet.  WCNH's signal toward
the city should be better than that since its directional antenna offers
peak coverage at about zero degrees, or due north...and in that direction
according to FCC records, the effective altitude is 178 meters or 584 feet.
While I was looking at the new FM's in NH between 88.1 and 91.9, I noticed
an application for a station in Milford on 88.7 by THE UNIVERSITY OF
MASSACHUSETTS!  Non-comms sometimes place repeaters and translators in
adjoining states that nonetheless are designed to provide coverage into
their home states.  Thus Connecticut public radio stations have affiliates
on Long Island, NY.  But the outlet in Milford, NH seems to provide coverage
only in the Granite State.  Unusual.>>

Milford, NH, is right on the state line, so undoubtedly there will be some
coverage into MA.  I think WUMB here is looking to get into areas that will
have a high interst in it's folk music programming, including the Monadnock
region.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH