Uncle Dale's replacement...

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Sep 21 01:43:04 EDT 2008

Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
> Actually, I don't think it had to do with heritage in regards to getting the
> KHJ call letters back.
>
> AM 930 runs a spanish format and as a friend of mine whos been in radio 40
> years thats completely bilingual confirmed what I read elsewhere that
> "KK"HJ, loosely translated means s&^t.
>
> Lieberman broadcasting petitioned for a 3 call letter based upon the special
> circumstances and got it.

Yes, that's what they told the FCC, and yes, it's true that it's a
somewhat plausible excuse. It's not what they believed inside the
station at the time, though, and I have that from the people who
actually filed the application.

(As Garrett points out, the station has never given its legal ID in
Spanish, either as KKHJ or KHJ, and it never uses the calls outside
legal ID time.)