Uncle Dale's replacement...

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Sep 19 16:19:23 EDT 2008

Sean Smyth wrote:

>> If I were in Ted Jordan's shoes, I'd almost be thinking at this
>> point about moving WBZ from 103 AM to 103 FM and using Lobel as a
>> building block to do sports on 1030...but, hey, it's been almost 12
>> years since I walked out the door at 1170 SFR, so what do I know?
>
> But then that runs to the opposite of what operators are doing in
> many markets, taking sports off AM and moving to FM. Then again, not
> every stick is WBZ...

The real trend is news and talk to FM, and if we assume WBZ continues to
be king of the revenue/ratings hill, the theory is that moving it to FM
would make it more visible to a younger demo...whereas in Boston, the
sports audience will presumably find you no matter where you are on the
dial.

The model here is Phoenix, where Bonneville moved news-talk KTAR from
620 to 92.3, then went sports on 620.

Of course, the threat is that as soon as CBS makes a move like this,
Entercom pulls the trigger and puts WEEI on 97.7 or 93.7 (or finally
closes the deal for 99.5...)