Analog TV xmtr

Gary gary@garysicecream.com
Mon Sep 8 16:42:39 EDT 2008

Guess I'm not getting a new living room divider after all

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Scott Fybush
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 4:26 PM
To: Jeff Lehmann
Cc: 'Boston Radio Interest'; 'Bill O'Neill'
Subject: Re: Analog TV xmtr

Jeff Lehmann wrote:
>>> What is to become of the soon-to-be defunt analog TV transmitters?
>> If they're new enough, they can be converted to digital.  Otherwise,
>> they will probably be stripped for the metals and any still-useful
>
> I suppose they could also be sold to stations in other countries that
> will still be using analog transmitter for a while longer.

Some will, undoubtedly, but most won't.

Most newer transmitters, especially the solid-state ones, can be converted
to digital simply by changing out the exciter and some of the filtering.
Only very old transmitters, which actually had separate amplifier cabinets
for visual and aural signals, will be rendered obsolete by the transition -
and those transmitters are usually so old and so inefficient that there'd be
little demand for them, even in other countries.

This transition has been in the works for long enough now to give most
stations a chance to plan ahead in their capital budgets as part of the
normal replacement and upgrade cycle.

For larger station groups, there are even plans in place to move
transmitters around after February. A lot of DTV stations are still
operating without backups, and that will change as former analog
transmitters are repurposed.