Rural DTV - surprising

George Allen gallen2@nescaum.org
Mon Sep 8 12:24:55 EDT 2008

I thought I'd add this to the current thread on DTV.

In Antrim NH, on US 202 about 65 miles NW of the Needham towers,
we've never been able to get more than 2-3 ugly fuzzy ghosty analog
pics over the years even with big outdoor antennas, since this
location is on the east side of Gregg Lake, with a 300' hill directly
behind me.  That blocks everything from 0 to 180 deg direction pretty
completely, including all Boston TV signals.

This summer, I thought I'd see if DTV did any better.  Using a
channel master cm-7000 converter box [~$80 before coupon] I was able
to get great pics most of the time from Ch. 2-4-5 and even 68 with
only modest fiddling of my $50 Terk HDTV antenna [which has a powered
rf-amp as part of the package].  Ch 7 was there part of the time, but
more not than there.

Here's the strange part.  Boston channels only came in when the
antenna was pointed just about due west, across the lake [~1200 ft
wide]; the other side of the lake also has a hill, and the only
signals I got were presumably bouncing off the hill across the
lake.  This is also what we found with analog TV over the years, but
because it's digital, the pic is perfect [when it's there at all].

So -- for those who say rural DTV coverage is likely to be worse than
analog, that is not always the case --- certainly not here.  We now
get these Boston channels, and several others from NH and VT.  An
amazing improvement over analog, and only using a small indoor
[amplified] antenna looking out a first floor window.  Perahps we're
just lucky we have a hill for the signals to bounce off of...
    -- George