Sox network still way late with legal ID break

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 20:04:56 EDT 2008

Matt Stevens wrote:

>  Then there's the story of how at another Merrimack valley >station the
> owner refused to pay for the phone line from >WPLM and they would pick the
> games up on a FM boom >box perched on top of an equipment rack. The signal
> would >fade during hot summer nights when tropo interference >would
> clobber the 99.1 signal.  Mark..chime in here and tell >us more
> stories...LOL.

  As requested, I will chime in. Yes it's true, WHAV in Haverhill would use
a boom box perched atop the equipment rack just outside the studio tuned to
99.1 to pick up Red Sox & Bruins games. The radio stayed on 24/7, and was
always patched in to the board so one could listen to WPLM in cue. IIRC
weeknights around 6:30 back in that time, right before the Sox pre-game,
WPLM would air a nightly poetry reading by Ken Coleman. I also listened in
cue one early morning while wrapping up an overnight shift (5:30ish) and
heard the reciting of the Daily Rosary. Yes it is also true that the signal
would drift and flutter when a plane would fly over the building and on one
warm Summer night during my watch the sounds of Ken Coleman were overtaken
by the sounds of rock from co-channel  WPLR New Haven. I called WPLM to get
the game feed via the phone at that point.

  And I can also confirm that WPLM didn't follow the log sent to the
affiliates. They would play local spots or promos in slots the log indicated
would be a network spot. Can't recall how many times I had to quickly pot
down the feed so WHAV listeners wouldn't hear a promo for "Dixieland In The
Morning" or a WPLM jingle.

Mark Watson