Woody Woodland lands at WCAP

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Oct 6 23:30:56 EDT 2008

Some years ago, Summers did a Saturday or Sunday morning call-in show
on collectibles on WBIX. (I think the program began on 1060 when it
had the WMEX calls and continued after the calls changed to WBIX.) I
assume the program was leased time because that's what most of the
1060 programs have been (at least on weekends) ever since Alex Langer
reclaimed the frequency from the dust bin of Boston radio history. So
is WCAP now also doing leased time? Would make a lot of sense,
provided that the program producers are successful at selling time on
their own shows. IIRC, Summers program always had a full load of spots
from antiques dealers and organizers of traveling antiques shows and
fairs. Maybe pet care and pet supply dealers constitute another source
of such advertising. And if WCAP's own sales force can't sell enough
spots in southern NH to sell out a two-hour-a week show on a signal
that covers southern NH very well during the day, the right program
host ought to be able to do so.

Seems to me I've heard Sam Poulten, who is a part owner of WCAP, doing
air shifts on the station. I assume he still has a real-estate
business in the Merrimac Valley. I didn't listen carefully enough to
figure out whether Sam was talking about houses he had for sale, but
wouldn't it make sense for him to do a leased-time real estate show on
the station he owns a piece of (take the money from one pocket and put
it in the other)?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367