The importance of local talk radio--RE: Bishop Sheen

cdsull502@aol.com cdsull502@aol.com
Tue Nov 25 09:41:27 EST 2008

In addition to Kevin's observations concerning Bishop Sheen:?? His remarks tended to center on universal religious truths--love your neighbor,? respect the beliefs of others, etc.? About the only group that he had real problems with?and preached against?were the Russian?Communists.? He was not a big fan of (quite properly) Joesph Stalin.????

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Vahey <kvahey@comcast.net>
To: Don A <donald_astelle@yahoo.com>
Cc: boston Radio Group <>
Sent: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 3:11 am
Subject: Re: The importance of local talk radio

Fronm all accounts they repected him very much. He was a supporter of
the formation of Israel and preached for Catholics to love the Jews.

It is well documented that Cardinal Spellman tried to muzzel him and could not.

Now it leads to an interesting question. I have to assume Channel 7
must have picked up the Dumont feed of Sheen (WBZ certainly could not
show Milton Berle) If Sheen was on WTAO-TV he alone would have sold
thousands of converter boxes in heavily Catholic Boston of the 50's
and the station might have survived. Professor Halper?

Spellman also hated Cushing and was responsible for making him wait a
full decade to become a Cardinal. Cushing did silence another
notorious radio priest (Father Feeny)who was not kindly to the Jews
and exiled him to Harvard, Mass.