Manilow Disorder

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:20:27 EST 2008

Oh, the humanity.  The hits of Barry Manilow are now a court-ordered
implement of punishment in a Colorado town for 'perps' who blast their
idea of music too loudly. "These people should have to listen to music
they don't like," said Judge Paul Sacco for a segment about the program
that aired Friday on KUSA-TV Denver.

The now-sixty-five-year-old 70s popper, for many,  was a deservedly
cruel hoax upon the "me generation" of the Seventies.  From "Mandy" to
"I Write the Songs" to "Ships" and the /'take that you hippie'/
"Daybreak", the sounds of Manilow was to music what the Chrysler K-Car
was to wheels.  Dependable, ubiquitous, safe, and low-art, Manilow music
was, indeed, the K-Car of Seventies music.

As a radio disc jockey on 'adult contemporary' stations back in the
Eighties, my brain will forever have in deep-storage the sounds of
Manilow.  Years of fresh air, thoughts of baseball, and an appreciation
for silence have moved me far ahead of many fellow radio buddies who
were less fortunate to break free from the sound that was Manilow.

And no, there is no 12-step program for this Manilow disorder.  If there
were to be one, we could call it "Onanonanonanon... The Twelve Step
Program for People Who Can't Stop from /Getting' that Feelin' /Again."

Bill O'Neill
--
I could tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.
/Rodney Dangerfield/