Is WBZ the only TV and AM left in New England?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Nov 17 00:23:28 EST 2008

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:55:26 -0500, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:
>
>> As Garrett alluded to in his response, most of these (Hubbard, Glendive
>> and Fisher being the exceptions) are old-line newspaper companies that
>> expanded into broadcasting.
>
> Actually, I was alluding to the fact that they were all relatively
> small group owners with a strong connection to the specific market in
> which they kept their original radio-TV combos -- you could certainly
> say that about Fisher and Hubbard as well.  It's perhaps particularly
> instructive when you consider that Hearst sold off *all* their radio
> properties, with the exception of WBAL/WIYY.  I believe that's true of
> a number of the other operators on the list.  (Did Tribune ever own
> radio outside Chicago?  I have a bit set that they did, but it could
> just be cosmic rays.)

Yes, but not much: they had WPIX-FM in New York, of course, and WICC in
Bridgeport, as well as some radio in Denver that went with KWGN-TV
(though that wasn't an historic pairing, IIRC.)

I find Hearst a somewhat odd company where newspaper-broadcast
combinations are concerned, in that they never had radio or TV paired
with their nominal flagship paper, the San Francisco Examiner. And the
company has never hesitated much to sell off or close any of its assets
if they weren't performing. A number of Hearst papers in pretty big
cities (Los Angeles, New York) simply closed over the years, and Hearst
unloaded its LA and NY radio stations in the thirties and fifties,
respectively.