Is WBZ AM-TV the only AM combo left in NE

chris2526 chris2526@comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 01:08:33 EST 2008

Harvey Radio Labs owned WTAO WXHR-FM and WTAO-TV,

WTAO-TV 56 was Bostons ABC affiliate in 1953 until it was taken dark due to
lack of UHF equipped receivers in the Boston market.
Boston did not have fulltime ABC until WHDH-TV 5 signed on in 1957.
I recall many houses on the North Shore and Boston had a separate
channel 9 yagi pointed to WMUR.
Same situation in with WNET-16 in Providence, when I was a kid I was
introduced to an uncles cousin....the GM of WNET who gave me my first UHF
converter and 4 bay bowtie antenna, only UHF station I could get in Salem,
Ma pre WIHS-TV 38 was WWOR-TV 14.
Providence did not get fulltime ABC until WTEV-6 signed on.

Kaiser-Boston Globe revived WTAO-TV as WKBG-TV 56 in 1966 along with WXHR-FM
as WJIB-FM 97 Beautiful Music and WTAO as WCAS 740 as
Watertown-Cambridge-Arlington-Somervillle and Belmont radio.