WAS 500KW WBZ -- Is WBZ 990 jingle

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Nov 13 11:10:43 EST 2008

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> Scott Fybush is the list member most likely to have an answer (he
> worked at 'BZ), but I would be surprised if WBZ used jingles in IDs in
> the 1930s. I doubt whether any station did. IIRC, the first radio
> jingle of any kind was "PepsiCola Hits the Spot" and I don't believe
> it arrived until the early '40s. I was around then, but I wasn't very
> old and I can't remember whether or not the Pepsi jingle burst on the
> scene before of after Pearl Harbor. I do remember that my parents and
> I were captivated by the jingle and often sang along with it when we
> heard it on the radio; it was memorable and easy to sing.

The earliest jingles I'm aware of for WBZ - amd certainly the earliest
still extant in the station's Big Closet O' Jingle Masters (and in my
set of dubs therefrom) - were done circa 1959 by Heller. They're the
ones that go "WBZ Boston...pluuu-u-u-usssss....WBZA - in Springfield!"

I don't recall that those mentioned the frequency at all, though of
course it was 1030 by then.