Donna's article from Taylor's Radio-Info

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Tue Nov 11 13:56:20 EST 2008

To me, the real impact on the election was not from progressive or
conservative talkers, but from urban and Hispanic radio, particularly
the syndicated morning shows.  Just about the entire Urban and Urban
AC format nationally is syndicated in morning drive, and personalities
like Tom Joyner, Steve Harvey and Big Boy were major Obama proponents
early on and motivated their listeners to register and vote.  It was a
big factor in states like North Carolina and Virginia, which not only
went blue this election cycle, but also helped Democrats in downticket
races as well.  Hispanic radio also helped to galvanize listeners in
key states like Florida, New Mexico and Colorado on issues like the
economy health care and particularly immigration reform.  While these
formats aren't true "talk" formats, they discussed politics a LOT in
the past year and their impact on the elections cannot be understated.

-Dave Tomm