WTIC must switch to night pattern earlier

Cohasset / Hippisley cohasset@frontiernet.net
Sun Nov 9 12:20:57 EST 2008

On Nov 9, 2008, at 10:19 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> Due to its westerly
> location within the Eastern time zone (and northerly latitude with
> respect to Dallas), Waverley MI's local sunset must come at
> approximately the same time as Dallas sunset--at least during the
> summer.

Actually, I was half tempted to guess that Michigan's sunset in the
summer might even have a chance of being *later* than the Dallas
sunset in late June, but not so.

Using one of many internet sunrise / sunset calculator sites, I find:

City						Dec. 21 local sunset			June 21 local sunset

Owasso, MI				17:05						21:19

Dallas, TX				17:25						20:39

On the assumption that Owasso is on EST in the winter and EDT in the
summer, it looks like the Michigan sunset is still about 20 minutes
earlier than Dallas sunset on the longest day of the year, versus 80
minutes earlier on the shortest.

Bud Hippisley