Have you seen today's Boston Globe?...

Richard Chonak rac@gabrielmass.com
Sun Nov 9 03:02:47 EST 2008

Don A wrote:

>>> The Fairness Doctrine does not restrict "freedom of speech".
>>
>> Yes, it does.  When the government mandated "fairness" is being
>> covered, the station can't otherwise speak.
>
> There is nothing in the law that restricts content.  People are free to
> continue doing whatever shows they are doing now.  No one could be
> restricted from continuing to do shows they do now.
>

>>> Why people are so against the FD is beyond me.  (Is it that they want
>>> to be able to broadcast "UN-fairly"?)
>>
>> No, it is simply the idea of government bureaucrats judging program
>> content is downright scary.
>
> Where does it say that "Govt Beauracrats" would  be "judging program
> content"?

Well, what happened in the good old days?   Did no one ever complain
that a station was violating the "Fairness Doctrine"?  If there were
such complaints, how were they adjudicated, by whom, and according to
what standards?   What was the potential penalty for non-compliance?

As long as the costs and risks of bring judged out of compliance are
non-trivial, people have a reasonable basis for being concerned about
the resulting "chilling effect".

--RC