Have you seen today's Boston Globe?...

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 15:38:04 EST 2008

Don A wrote:
> The idea that broadcasts licenses were licenses to "serve" a community
> seems to be vanishing.

That's my point, exactly. It is vanishing. Sometimes we just have to let
go!

I am not happy that radio has devolved to the point that the "trustees"
need not consider the needs of its local community -- indigenous
concerns that, ironically, if served by a station, would actually give
it relevance, market share, and a purpose.  I cut my teeth in radio 28
years ago when local service mattered.  Even then, however, balancing
talker viewpoints across the clock misses the point when it comes to
local service.

Bill O'Neill