Early Xmas

Ric Werme ewerme@comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 23:43:20 EST 2008

Mark Watson wrote:
>   Ironically, "Green Chri$tma$" is one Yule recording that you don't hear
> on the radio.

> Larry Weil wrote:
> >> -
> > In the same vein, Allen Sherman did a song that went "Deck the halls with
> > advertising" or something to that effect, IIRC.
> >

> Cambridge's own Tom Lehrer held forth with "A Christmas Carol" - one of
> my all-time favorite holiday commentaries, tho seldom, if ever, heard on
> the (public?) airwaves:

> Hark The Herald Tribune Sings, Advertising Wondrous Things...
> God Rest Ye Merry Merchants, May Ye Make The Yuletide Pay...

Richard L Kaye had a tradition where he would play "Green Chri$tma$"
on WCRB Saturday Night the week after seeing the first Christmas
advertising of the year.

Lehrer and Sherman were certain to be heard before Christmas.

I figure it's Kaye's fault that I have the appropriate Dr Demento CDs.
Good stuff.  Gee, they're even short enough pieces to fit WCRB's
current format.  :-)