fairness doctrine

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Nov 6 18:29:56 EST 2008

At 03:55 PM 11/6/2008, Jim Hall wrote:
>Am I mistaken, or did not talk show hosts such as Jerry Williams, Steve
>Fredericks, Avi Nelson, Paul Benzaquin, etc., operate their programs just
>fine during the time the Fairness Doctrine was in force?

That's exactly my point.  It's a myth-- usually put forth by my
friends on the right-- that all freedom of opinion was stifled under
the Fairness Doctrine.  Quite the opposite is true, as my
soon-to-be-released book will point out.  The 1960s was the first
major era of opinionated talk shows, and those talkers came from both
the right and the left-- righties had plenty of big stars-- it was
the era of Joe Pyne ("Go gargle with razor blades!") and other
conservative talkers of the Michael Savage ilk, and they all had no
problem getting huge ratings.  But there were liberal talkers on
their stations, and they too got huge ratings.  And the public heard
both sides of all the major issues, and life went on.