More on Fairness Doctrine

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Nov 6 17:17:31 EST 2008

Bill O'Neill wrote:

> Bob Nelson wrote:
>> and mentioned that the same people who want it to NOT be brought back
>> are the same people who want
>> pornography to be prohibited/regulated.)

> I see that link-attempt all over the ether -- the seeming paradox that
> the same cohort which favors pornography/sexual content runs opposition
> to the Fairness Doctrine.

And for what it's worth, I'm not even sure that link has any validity to it.

I'm a First Amendment near-absolutist. I don't want my government
telling me what opinions I can listen to or watch (or broadcast, if I
were a station owner) - AND I don't want my government telling me what
material of a "sexual or excretory nature" I can listen to or watch (or
broadcast, if I were a station owner.)

I concur with Bill that there's the issue, in the case of sexual
content, of material that's unsuitable for children - but I say, as the
parent of two small children, that the job of keeping that material away
from them is MINE, not the government's.