Beck's politeness, Smerconish's endorsement

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Nov 6 17:03:31 EST 2008

Bob Nelson wrote:
> Well I'm not saying it's true or not, but who knows, it could be!
> Anything on the Net
> might need to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm just saying that
> there probably are
> people out there who are trying earnestly to bring back the FD and whether they
> succeed or not, we'll find out.

C'mon, Bob...it's not as though Maloney's blog is just "anything on the
net" that you happened across by chance.

Brian does what he does with a very definite point of view, and with a
very well-defined audience - in his case, the conservative talk radio
PDs he hopes will hire him someday.

And all of us who engage in blogging or blog-related activities (I
include myself in this category) know that we're judged, in the end, by
our track records.

Maloney has a history, and a well-documented one, of taking certain
liberties with the facts and of spinning events through his own
political and personal filters. (e.g. his long-running grudge against
his former employers at WRKO/Entercom.)

"Might need to be taken with a grain of salt"? I keep the entire shaker
(and a big cardboard carton to refill it) handy whenever I read The
Radio Equalizer, myself. Which is not to say that he doesn't break a
good story from time to time, or that he doesn't get things right - just
that it's more than a bit disingenuous to cite him as anything even
remotely approaching an unbiased, neutral observer on a story as
politically charged as this one.