That infernal hum!

Ric Werme
Sun May 25 22:01:50 EDT 2008

> So I'm thinking of another strategy for recording records and tapes 
> into computer files:  Use my laptop.  trouble is, my laptop doesn't 
> have an auxiliary input jack, just a mike jack.  Anything that I play 
> into that jack comes out loud and distorted.  Is there any kind of 
> adapter that I can get that will make it possible to use the laptop 
> for this purpose?  Or do I have to get another laptop?  That's not 
> going to happen for awhile.

IIRC, "Line In" (or aux in) ports expect a 1 volt peak-peak signal.
Since "mike in " doesn't work, I assume it's expecting something like
a ceramic microphone.

One problem with records is that "RIAA equalization" will be an issue.
another issue is that the signal is much weaker than line in.  I don't
know beans about recording software and what adjustments like equalization
it offers.  A USB turnable, especially if it has a line in jack, might be
a decent way to go, even if you understand all the pits.

  -Ric Werme

More information about the Boston-Radio-Interest mailing list