WCVB Analog vs DT signal

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Mar 31 17:00:32 EDT 2008

<<On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:45:31 -0700 (PDT), John Bolduc <n1qgs@yahoo.com> said:

> Is it possible that WCVB has switched the analog and digital antenna
> locations on the tower, benefiting DT over analog??

No.  WCVB's analogue signal is diplexed with WBZ-TV.  Both stations'
DTVs are on the upper UHF master, which is already the highest thing
on the CBS tower (save only the airway obstruction beacon).  The setup
on that tower is like this, if I remember correctly:

UHF upper - 20, 30, 39, 43
UHF lower - 19, 44
VHF upper - 4, 5
VHF lower - 2
5 backup

4 has a backup on another tower at 350 Cedar, although I don't know if
it's still in use or whether they share the 5 backup antenna.  There
was talk a few years ago of putting a master FM panel system in the
2/4/5 aperture once it is no longer needed for analogue TV.

For what it's worth, I've noticed very poor reception from FMs to the
north and northeast lately (from my location in Framingham along the
Mass. Pike into Boston).

-GAWollman