WBZ/Westinghouse/Springfield, MA

Robert F. Sutherland madprof@ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 27 23:58:55 EDT 2008

"...city's Historical Commission, said he is not aware of any historical
restrictions related to demolition. "

It's such an important  site in MA & US radio history, the towers should be
preserved!
I wonder if enough letters to Historical Commision, and the planning board
might help.
Also people at WBZ might have a historical view?

I used to work very nearby the East Springfield site,  and have to admit
the rest of Westinghouse there is very underused.
But the towers were always a special image to me, a reminder of radio
progress years ago.

This proposed  shopping center would be 2-3 miles from the route 20
"Eastfield Mall" (@ Parker St) and its area of secondary smaller malls.
Since many stores have closed over the last 10+ years (Caldors, Ames...) and
the turnover of stores in Eastfield Mall is considerable,
I see this proposal not as a need to handle area consumers,
but as a push to inject new competition, thus possibly unnecessary upheaval?
I wonder if the  Newton Company sees it as low-priced land, to build profit
upon?

This meeting is very soon, can we generate interest?
"at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at 32 Stevens St. off Paige Blvd" (East Sprinfgfield)
I'm considering going to said meeting to speak historically,
any words, details, references to be presaented would be apppreciated.

Bob Sutherland