Old Vacation TV observations from way back! (was Re: WMUR)

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 19:55:45 EDT 2008

While vacationing in Belleau Lake (East Wakefield), NH
in 1969 and again in 1972, my family and I were
treated to 3 and half channels of programming.
Channel 9 was not a factor we had a ridge of hills
between us and Goffstown. The signal was really in the
mud and not usable.

However, we did get TV from the Portland market.
WCSH/6 had the strongest signal from Sabago with NBC,
but was loaded with multicolored ghosts due to
multipath.  Their "WCSH Eyewitness News" tried so hard
to compete.  I remember that Channel 6 was using some
older color cameras and looked a little 1960-ish on
the air, like the old GE color camera "look" (contrast
issues).  You knew when Channel 6's tower was being
hit by lightning, when we would see brief (couple of
second) loss-of-signal intervals would happen.  We
would be getting hit about 30 minutes beforehand (in
NH) with some really heavy thunder-boomers.

Channel 8/WMTW-TV had a good signal from Mt.
Washington, had ABC but had some pretty hokey local
programming.  They had what they called "News Circle"
with one color camera with a talking head reader and
no newsfilm whatsoever.  Who can forget Marty Engstrom
from the mountain with the weather and his signature
smile at the end! Channel 8 did not go full-color
until 1970.  They had a booth announcer that sounded
like he always had a cold.... "This is TV-8 in Poland
Spring, Baine".  He actually was the newsreader on
"News Circle" during the time I stayed up there in
1972.

Then there was Channel 13/WGAN-TV, probably the
slickest operation of the three. Yes, "The Channel 13
Newsbeat!", with full-color newsfilm as far back as
1969.  There was no contest.  Couple that with the top
rated CBS programming and you had a winner.

Once in a while, during the summer (tropo), Channel 5
(WHDH/WCVB) in Boston would come in pretty well.  Even
WCAX/3 from Burlington would show up from
time-to-time.
Channel 11/WENH really had nothing to offer other than
usual PBS stuff.  We finally had UHF in the area from
MPBN when WMEG (later WMEA) on Channel 26 fired up in
late 1974. But then again it was just another PBS.

Even during my formative years (9-12), I could
distinguish the differences between the local
stations.  They were all quite unique.  I wish I had a
VCR back then!  Now, all of these stations (today) are
high-tech with HDTV just about the take off.

What a difference 40 years can make!

-Pete

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts